As we walk around the area, two truckloads of IDF soldiers and one police car tak position on the road leading down towards the park. After a few minutes, a minibus and a jeep decorated with Israeli flags arrive. They park next to the soldiers. The settlers come out, picnic gear and steel pipes in hand. I wonder who would ever bring steel pipes to a picnic. Indeed, I wonder who would choose to have a picnic on what is a cold, windy and cloudy morning. And I also wonder why anyone would use a trashed former military base (see photo) as their picnic destination of choice? The soldiers hints that we should leave. So we walk to a hill on the other side of the small valley where we can watch the situation. We can see the park and the soldiers from there. The soldiers stay put, protecting the settlers' picnic. One of my colleagues runs to grab lunch. We have our own "picnic for peace" and we laugh at the absurdity of it all. I look across the valley and wonder why it is that 15 "picnicers" get protection from 20 MI16 armed soldiers and the police while the playground is shut because of the actions of these people. It does not seem fair. We stay and watch the settlers leave. Then the soldiers leave. Understandably, the Palestinian children never even came to play.
Visit to the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society.
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment